CHROMEBOOK USE POLICIES AND PROCEDURES FOR STUDENTS
In order to create a collaborative learning environment for our students, the Newman-Crows Landing Unified School District is providing every student with a Chromebook to use in the classrooms. This environment will allow teachers to implement transformative uses of technology in order to increase student engagement with content. The use of technology in the classroom will transform students into life-long learners and into producers of information.
The Chromebook device is property of NCLUSD. Students will use technology for educational activities. The supplied device will provide each student access to educational materials needed for each student to be successful. The Chromebook allows student access to Google Apps for Education and other web-based tools and websites. The device is an educational tool which should not be used for gaming or social networking.
A Chromebook will be issued to each student within the first two weeks of the school year if the parent has given permission by agreeing to the Technology Acceptable Use Agreement and Google Apps for Education on Infosnap.
Student Use and Care of the Chromebook
Students are responsible for the general care of the Chromebook issued to them. The student should only use the Chromebook issued to them. Chromebooks that are broken or fail to work properly will be taken care of by the teacher and the librarian following established procedures. The student may be issued a replacement Chromebook until his/her Chromebook repair is completed.
General Care Guidelines:
- Chromebooks will only be used during the school day.
- At the end of each day, students should shut down the Chromebook, return it to the charging cart into the appropriate slot and connect to charger.
- Chromebooks must always have all district-assigned tags on the case. Tags must not be removed or altered in any way.
- No food or drink should ever be near the Chromebook.
- If necessary, transport Chromebooks with care.
- Chromebook lids should always be closed and tightly secured when moving.
- Never lift a Chromebook by lifting from the screen. Always support from its bottom.
- Do not lean or put pressure or heavy items on the top of the Chromebook when it is closed.
- Do not place anything near the Chromebook screen that could put pressure on the screen.
- Do not poke or scratch the screen with anything that will damage the screen surface.
- Do not place anything on the keyboard before closing the lid.
- If necessary, dust the screen only with a soft, dry microfiber cloth or anti-static cloth. Do not use any cleaning solvents.
Network Access and Password
- A Google Apps for Education password will be issued to each student for Chromebook log in access.
- Take care to protect your password. Do not share your password
- If a student must reset their password, please have the student contact the Library Media staff to reset the password.
- Any use of inappropriate media on the Chromebooks will follow with disciplinary actions as outlined in the Student Conduct Code.
- Students should always log out of their account when Chromebook is not in use.
- All student work will be stored in their Google Drive account.
Use of Audio/Video
- Students must not listen to audio or watch video unless permission is obtained from the teacher for instructional purposes.
- Be polite when sending messages.
- Use appropriate language.
- Always practice safe digital citizenship guidelines and do not reveal any personal information.
- All email sent and received through a district device is not guaranteed to be private.
- Report to your teacher any misuse of technology.